Smoked Trout Tartines
Smoked Trout Tartines – a fancy French open-faced sandwich topped with fancy smoked trout spread.
Servings 2 servings
- 2 smoked trout fillets
- 1 small baguette
- 3 radishes thinly sliced
- 1 small cucumber thinly sliced
- 1 Romaine heart chopped
- 1 stalk celery thinly sliced
- 1 bunch dill remove from stems and chop half (use remaining for garnish)
- 2 tablespoons Crème Fraîche
- 2 tablespoons roasted sunflower seeds
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons whole grain Dijon mustard
- 1 shallot thinly sliced
Pickle the shallot:
In a small saucepan, combine sugar, 1-1/2 tablespoons of the vinegar ,and 2 tablespoons of water. Stir in the sliced shallot and heat Het to boiling over medium-high heat. Simmer 3-4 minutes until shallots are soft and liquid has reduced slightly. Remove from heat.
Prepare the Trout Spread:
Place the trout fillets in a medium size bow and flake into small pieces with a fork. Add the celery, crème fraîche, mustard, chopped dill, and pickled shallot (reserving the pickling liquid). Drizzle with 1 teaspoon olive oil and stir to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
In a large bowl, combine the romaine, radishes, cucumber, sunflower seeds, remaining vinegar and reserved pickling liquid. Drizzle with 1 teaspoon olive oil and toss to coat; season with salt and pepper to taste.